Monday, April 9, 2018

Paschal Moon: uninvited stain


My National Poetry Month entry today is by Mary P. Pettigrew, a woman who lives with Multiple Sclerosis, who could have been any of the participants I’ve seen in the WalkMS events I’vebeen to.

In another poem, about Annette Funicello, Pettigrew refers to sufferers as members of the MSketeer Club. This one is about the internal workings of the disease.

“Scars”

This brain, my brain
Reveals an unwanted, uninvited stain
Stealthy invaders placed an ugly mark
Though visually unseen, it's there...a permanent scar.

A tattoo, if you will
An indelible marking, perplexing until
Courageous, yet daunting intervention begins
Presenting theoretical ideas, invasive needles and pins.
The monster's mastery takes hold, you see...
Internally stalking, exploring ways to manipulate me
Wicked, determined to strike and knock me down
A bully in hiding, deploying trickery like a devious clown.
This brain, my brain
With this extraordinary, devastating stain
Brings clarity, unexpected strength, possibility
Now, determined, striving to re-define my disability.




No comments: