Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Old Outlook

As I’ve mentioned before, I am not enchanted by Windows 10, or its Office365 iteration. I disliked it when I first experienced it and it has not improved in the intervening months.

One of its more annoying proclivities is forcibly pushing you into “optimizing” your experience—for example, every time I go to save a file it defaults to Microsoft’s cloud storage site, OneDrive. And for all it attempts to appear to have the coolness of a web app, it never freaking learns that I’m never going to save to OneDrive.

There’s also the “because we’re Microsoft” approach to mandatory updates, along with the periodic reboot of your PC. I really do not like software that makes the user continually adapt to it instead of the other way around.

As for the updates, here’s their idea of something worth calling your attention to when the machine reboots and you reopen the software:


I’d so much prefer to have an interface that clearly distinguishes email threads than a calendar in Persian.




No comments: