Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Nature's mysteries 2

Well, thanks to my readers, I found out that last week’s mystery plant is a wild azalea, probably rhododendron canescens or rhododendron periclymenoides. So I know what I want to add to my garden.

Let’s try again. These guys actually live in my garden already, and they’re almost ground cover.

They popped up while Nature was still deciding on how many winters we were going to go through, so they're hardy.





They start out strong with blooms, then lapse into green. 








Now they’ve all disappeared, so not reliable cover.

#IDme

 

 

2 comments:

David Gorsline said...

Unfortunately, what you have here is Lesser Celandine, Ficaria verna. It's a non-native invasive, and fairly common along the Potomac. Leaf form is a little different from what I'm used to, but the phenology and other characteristics fit.

David Gorsline said...

Yep, my error. This would be Winter Aconite, _Eranthis hyemalis_. Same family, not invasive in our area.