Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Nature's mysteries 1

Over the past few months, I’ve been collecting a lot of pix of plants, shrubs and trees I find interesting, but have no clue as to what they are. I need you to help me with this.

First up is a shrub over to the corporate HQ that started out as interesting buds, moved through flowers with a delicate fragrance and ended up as kind of flower bones. I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else; not even elsewhere in the corporate HQ campus.

#IDme: 











 

 

2 comments:

David Gorsline said...

When it comes to something that's planted, it's hard to be sure. You could be dealing with a cultivar, a hybrid, or a non-native. But if your plant is a native, it's Pinxter Azalea, Rhododendron periclymenoides, https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/49822-Rhododendron-periclymenoides. I have found it growing wild elsewhere in Reston.

Bas Bleu said...

Thanks, David. I'm going to look for it to plant in my garden. So much more interesting than azaleas I've seen before.