Wednesday, September 23, 2020

White goods

 I’m not sure it’s the pandemic, but…

Yeah, it’s the pandemic. Starting in May, what with all the baking I’ve been doing, along with what a pain grocery shopping has become, I started looking for a real freezer to replace the 3 cubic foot one I’ve been using for the past two years.

Turns out that all of America was also looking for freezers, and there were none to be had. (Remember—factories shut down?) Finally, after two months of calling a local appliance shop every couple of weeks, I ordered a 17 cubic foot upright, paid my money and got put on The List.

It came in two weeks ago, and last Friday it was finally delivered.

 

(Back around April, I was chatting with a friend about all the baking I was doing, and how I had no place to put it all. She made me promise to call her before I bought a chest freezer. Well, in fairness, this is not a chest freezer, so when I sent her these pix she called me a survivalist. Whatevs.)

It’s excessive, I know, but I feel so much more secure now that I have frozen Lebensraum. This week I’m going to Costco to stock up on butter, crab cakes and pot pies. I’m also getting electricians in to split my single kitchen circuit into two. I’ve already blown the one a couple of times (microwave, mini-freezer, toaster oven, refrigerator, wine fridge all drawing juice when I turned on the George Foreman Grill; didn’t even have the dishwasher running), and I do not fancy the prospect of 17 cubic feet of crab cakes and butter going bad.

What can I say: 2020, man.

 

 

 

No comments: