Friday, September 28, 2018

More hopping


Day 2 of the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. I demo’d the Magic Leap One mixed reality product before having a get-to-know-you chat with a recruiter from Portland.

WRT the former, it’s an interesting approach for the person with the devices to show up ten minutes late and then denigrate me. (When I responded to her query on what I do by telling her what I do, she said, “You’ve got the marketing spiel down really well.”)

Right.

Went to a sit-down lunch hosted by Wayfair, which was nice enough until one of the co-founders sat down at the table. Until then, the blonde from Google had been held in check, but he seemed fascinated by every detail (and she did go into every single one) of her work, her love for Wayfair, her fiancé, and probably more; I zoned out and tried to control my resting bitch face.

The upside of the event was one of the appetizers was filet mignon on toasted baguette slice that was marvelous, and an Aperol spritzer, which was stunningly good.

I was disappointed by the afternoon’s roundtable for senior women that GoDaddy hosted. The topic was “Should I Stay or Should I Go”, and again, the discussion was hogged by one woman who gave us the rundown of her entire career. Every. Single. Job.

By the time I’d made an appearance at three of the seven evening parties I’d accepted, I was ready to call it a night.

On the plus side, I’ve not had to watch any of the shitshow in the Senate, and for that I am deeply grateful.



No comments: