Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Gather round the table

Since the Christ child was, in fact, a Jew, it seems appropriate that we pause a moment for a Jewish holiday. Because at sundown tonight, Hanukkah begins.

(To refresh your memory, Hanukkah lasts eight nights to commemorate the rededication of the Second Temple at the time of the Maccabean revolt against the Persians. Unlike some other Jewish holidays, this one is focused on the home and family, as opposed to the temple and outside world.)

When my friend Amy gave me a paper Menorah a few years ago, she sang this song while we and her daughter punched out all the pieces. I’ll just let the Barenaked Ladies do the honors this time around. As one does:


But I’ll also give you Tom Lehrer’s “Hanukkah in Santa Monica”, basically because I can:


Aaaand that’s as good a segue as I’m going to get to this one, which just…makes me hungry:



1 comment:

The Pundit's Apprentice said...

Has Janet seen this? Tell her I can hear her mother laughing at it in heaven.