Tuesday, April 21, 2015

April soft and cold: On the rocks of Mount Kamo

Last year I gave you a few examples of the poetic forms haiku and tanka. But it’s worth exploring Japanese forms further, with examples both ancient and modern.

Empress Jitō ruled from 686 to 697 CE. She was one of eight women to take the role of empress regnant, taking over after the death of her husband, Temmu (who was also her uncle; but as that’s not really particularly relevant, we won’t dwell on it). Here’s one of hers:

“On the Death of the Emperor Temmu”

Even flaming fire
can be snatched up, smothered
and carried in a bag.
Why then can’t I
meet my dead lord again?

Kakinomoto no Hitomaro (roughly a contemporary of Jitō) is known for his long poems, but here’s a short, untitled, one I like because it sets you up for something romantic, and then shatters your expectations.

My girl is waiting for me
And does not know
That my body will stay here
On the rocks of Mount Kamo.

And here’s a haiku from the 20th Century. Akutagawa Ryūnosuke (1892-1927) was quite the literary giant, producing poetry and short stories. The film Rashomon is based on Akutagawa’s story “In a Grove”. This entry, however, is appealingly whimsical.

Green frog,
Is your body also
freshly painted?



No comments: