Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Building boom

There’s a lot of construction going on here in the Valley They Call Silicon, and Cupertino is just teeming with sites-in-progress, what with the new Apple headquarters going up, and apartments and shopping/eating centers nearby.

The Apple building, tellingly, is doughnut-shaped, with the focus entirely in on itself. This reflects both the secretiveness and self-centeredness of the culture as defined by Steve Jobs. It’s close enough to me to be on one of my walking circuits, when I shot this of the cranes behind the 12- or 15-foot fences:


But actually, what I find rather interesting is that there’s no apparent work week/weekend configuration for this construction. Weekday, Saturday, Sunday, holidays, the trucks are trucking, the cranes are moving and there’s non-stop road wetting to keep down the dust. Even on the rare occasions when it’s raining. And I’m not making that up.

In fact, here’s evidence from a shopping center (or maybe it’s an apartment city, it's hard for me to tell the difference at this point) on Stevens Creek Boulevard:


We live in strange times.



No comments: