Monday, August 3, 2026

Gratitude Monday: Flowing water

A week ago Friday, around 1645, I ran the garbage disposer; it regurgitated water back up into the sink, which drained only very slowly. Naturally this was on the cusp of the weekend, where calling out any tradesman would involve an out-of-hours surcharge.

I consulted the Duck (Duck-duck-go) and performed some of the recommendations. Following the use of a plunger, the drainage seemed to improve. But on Sunday, when I ran the dishwasher, it didn’t drain properly.

I first tried calling my appliance repair guy, primarily because I know him and I don’t know any plumbers, and also because I didn’t want it to be what it was, which was a clogged drain. On Tuesday, Alan confirmed that. He knew no plumbers to recommend, but he did have the name of a drain clearing service, so I called them.

The technician came out Wednesday morning. By that time I was bugging pretty badly. Not so much about the slow drain or the garbage disposer (which I rarely use, since vegetable scraps get composted, non-poultry bones go to the fox and everything else gets binned); it was not having the use of the dishwasher that drove me up the wall. I’d be standing in the kitchen with a dirty dish in my hand at an absolute loss as to what to do with it. (Listen—I spent three years in the UK without a dishwasher and thought myself very ill used the whole time.)

It took two snakings to clear the drain, but clear it he did. As he was checking various things (no backup in the utility room, yay!) he let the water run for a good five minutes. Drained like a pro. Absolutely worth the $$$.

(Bonus: I asked him what the weirdest clog he ever cleared was. That stopped him, but then he said, “Rats in the drain. But that’s only in Arlington.”)

So my gratitude today is for having a kitchen drain that runs free, a garbage disposer that doesn’t spit water back at me and a working, draining dishwasher. Viz:


P.S. I also have my calendar marked to flush baking soda, then white vinegar and then kettle-hot water down the drain the first Sunday of every quarter. Just in case.

 

©2026 Bas Bleu

 

No comments: