Monday, April 15, 2024

Gratitude Monday: Ditch and bog

While on my walk yesterday morning, I noticed that the Virginia bluebells in mini-park on my route were in bloom. So I went home, got my camera and walked back to get some shots.

When time came to upload them to my computer, I discovered these photos that have been on the memory card for eight months.



This is unusual because it’s my practice to delete pix from the camera as soon as I upload them. And it was a reminder of how heartbreakingly beautiful the ponds on the corporate campus behind me are. (Heartbreaking because the developers who own the property are in the process of erecting 82 three- and four-story townhouse units there.)

I’m grateful for the unexpected discovery of these photos and the beauty of the sacred lotus. So for National Poetry Month today let’s have a poem about welcoming beauty where we find it from 20th Century poet Edna St. Vincent Millay.

“Still I Will Harvest Beauty As It Grows”.

Still will I harvest beauty where it grows:
In coloured fungus and the spotted fog
Surprised on foods forgotten; in ditch and bog
Filmed brilliant with irregular rainbows
Of rust and oil, where half a city throws
Its empty tins; and in some spongy log
Whence headlong leaps the oozy emerald frog. . . .
And a black pupil in the green scum shows.
Her the inhabiter of divers places
Surmising at all doors, I push them all.
Oh, you that fearful of a creaking hinge
Turn back forevermore with craven faces,
I tell you Beauty bears an ultra fringe

 

 

©2024 Bas Bleu

 

No comments: