Thursday, March 16, 2023

Yogalove

The Washington Post recently published a story indicating that practicing yoga “may reduce frailty, improve endurance in older adults.”

To which I reply, “Well, duh.”

One of the first things I noticed when I first started taking yoga lessons in the summer of 2020 was that it truly took my mind off all the mishigas at work (at least for 60 minutes). When you’re trying to not crash into the floor doing Warrior III, you are not thinking about that putz who’s the director of engineering.

But as I continued, I regained my flexibility. I also visibly improved my balance, my strength, my ability to hold a pose, my capacity to push my limits. I’ve also regained range of motion and stamina post-surgery on my knee to a remarkable degree. That wouldn’t have happened without yoga.

But here’s the key thing: having the right instructor makes all the difference. Way back in the last century I signed up to take yoga through Fairfax County. The instructor literally couldn’t access the county building. I cannot tell you how little patience I have with ineffectiveness, and therefore how not in the mood for yoga I felt when she decided to have the lesson on the lawn outside.

At a spa in England in 2000, I had three classes from a woman who was quite good, and one from a woman who was not. That was enough for me to give it a pass.

But when my current instructor began giving chair yoga classes via Zoom in July of 2020, it connected. Only I knew I wanted “real” yoga, and not halfway stuff. (Also, TBH, waiting for all the other women to faff about collecting their props and finding the right chair got up my nose, which is not the mood you want to be in for yoga. See above about not getting into the county building.) Not only does she know yoga, she knows how to teach. She can convey what to do, what it's good for and what the context is. 

From the very first private lesson, where my balance wobbled and my bending was limited, I have never regretted one second of yoga. We never go beyond my capabilities, but we have expanded them in the nearly three years.

So, yes, WaPo—strength, stamina, flexibility, focus. Despite my advanced years.

 

 

No comments: