Saturday, December 24, 2022

Redeeming love

Here we are at the cusp of Christmas. People always be like “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas”, and a good chunk of the continental US is under a gazillion feet of snow with high winds, making holiday travel even more chaotic than usual.

I myself never dream of a white Christmas and I say people should be careful what they ask for. This year more than ever they should be wishing for stable power, reliable and affordable sources of heat, potable running water and that Russian forces retreat the hell back to Moscow and have a few words with Vladimir Putin.

Anyway, back to the ultimate day of Advent. “Once in Royal David’s City” has always been one of my favorite carols because of the haunting intro by a solo (usually boy) soprano and the build-up to the crashing finish. It typically is the opening carol in Christmas Eve services of Nine Lessons and Carols, and I associate listening to it (broadcast from King’s College, Cambridge) as I drove around, delivering gifts and tying up loose ends for the holiday prep.

I’m giving you a performance by another Cambridge college, Trinity, because they allow women in their choir, which seems more fitting to the 21st Century somehow.

May all who need the joy of Christmas find it this year. Not Putin, tho.

 

 

 

No comments: