Monday, January 31, 2022

Gratitude Monday: central heat

I’ve probably spent several Mondays recently expressing my gratitude for central heat, but it’s not clear to me that you can say it too many times, given the winter we’re having in the District They Call Columbia. In the past two weeks we’ve barely crept up into the twenties; there’s still snow on the ground from the big storm on the 16th.

I’m very well aware that even having central heat is by no means a given, even in the world’s wealthiest nation in the 21st Century. That’s leaving aside the issue that tens of thousands of households regularly lose power in big storms and have no operating heat in the coldest of times.

I keep my thermostat set to 73F, and even so I wear layers indoors. Still, every time I come inside I feel a wave of gratitude along with the warmth. I hope I never take it for granted.

 

 

 

No comments: