Friday, December 17, 2021

No dismay zone

Well, I think it’s time for something substantially traditional for Advent today. Hardly anything is more traditional than “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen”. (Note the comma placement; the song is telling us to lighten up, not commenting on our existing state of jolliness.)

The carol dates from the 17th Century, when it was associated with recusant (Roman) Catholic families in England. This was a time when "celebrating" Christmas (the word means "Christ's Mass) was dangerous; Puritans did not hold with such frippery. The melody we know was hooked up to it about a hundred years later.

I could have given you a version from King’s College, Cambridge, but then I came across Annie Lennox’s take, and I had to go with it. She changes some of the wording in the second verse (I guess “Jewry” was a sticking point?), but this is quite engaging.


 

No comments: