Thursday, December 9, 2021

Glad tidings of great joy I bring

Today’s Advent offering was written by Martin Luther as “Vom Himmel hoch”, “From Heaven on High”. Ordinarily I’d give you the original German, but I have to get in something by Catherine Winkworth, the Victorian bluestocking who translated so many German hymns, capturing the force and poetry of the originals.

I suppose my all-time favorite is another Luther effort, “Comfort, Comfort Ye, My People”. The lyrics to "From Heav'n Above to Earth I Come" are kinda German-y. By which I mean the verb is at the end of the line, not immediately following the subject. To be honest, I can't help but think of the letter to Sherlock Holmes (in "A Scandal in Bohemia") that contains this sentence: "This account of you we have from all quarters received."

Have a listen to the Lutheran a Capella Choir of Milwaukee giving us “From Heav’n Above”.


No comments: