Monday, August 2, 2021

Gratitude Monday: sociability

My yoga instructor ended Friday’s lesson with, “See you tomorrow!” I basically responded, “Wait—what?”

Some months ago, she’d invited me to a party that was sort of a make-up for two Seders that she and her husband couldn’t hold because of COVID-19. I’d accepted, but forgot about it because stuff. And I ignored Facebook’s reminders because I pretty much ignore anything Facebook sends me as irrelevant.

But Saturday evening I put on earrings and one of my good tee-shirts, went to their house and schmoozed and ate barbecue with 20 or 30 of their fully-vaxxed friends. I think it was in fact the first social event I’ve been to since my company’s holiday party in December of 2019.

I won’t pretend I didn’t consider the Delta variant complication. In the past week, when I come across others out walking or running in the People’s Republic, we separate off the sidewalk. This thing is not to be messed with, even if you are fully vaccinated. But, an evening of social engagement reminiscent of the Before Times was such a mitzvah, and I’m grateful for it.

 

 

No comments: