Tuesday, January 19, 2021

A thousand words

Back in the last century, when I found myself riveted by a feature story in WaPo, inevitably when I looked back at the byline, it was by Ken Ringle. That guy could write the living daylights out of a story. They sent him to cover the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings and he wrote about the aging airborne soldiers who had to fast-talk their way through military concerns in order to reenact their jump into Normandy.

I loved every story he wrote, and was desolated when he took early retirement in one of WaPo’s pre-Bezos cost-cutting sweeps.

Recently, I’ve noticed that every time there’s an utterly transfixing photo of Cadet Bonespurs, it’s been taken by Jabin Botsford. That guy gets the money shot with staggering regularity—a perfect angle at exactly the right moment to capture the seething bile under that gravelly orange skin. We have been blessed to have him assigned to the White House to document this corrupt presence.

I’m not posting any of his Bonespurs shots because I will not give that grifter the Klout. 

Oh, okay: one:

But here’s one of Botsford’s latest photos from the White House. I love that he submitted it to his editor, and that the editor ran it, in a story about post-presidential Kleptolandia in Florida:

This just says it all.

 

 

No comments: