Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Rewriting history

Back in the dim dark past, February used to have two federal holidays: the 12th, honoring Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, and the 22nd, honoring George Washington’s. At some point, the feds rolled the two of them into the third Monday of the month and called it Presidents’ Day.

This year, that was yesterday, and I’m really grateful that we got the day off. I needed it. (I honored the two titans in the traditional way: I went to Costco, to stock up on butter and laundry detergent.)

Well, except apparently in the state that touts itself as the Mother of Presidents. At the end of last month I had occasion to visit the local branch of the Fairfax County (home to Washington, as it happens) Public Library, and noticed that they marked it thusly:


They even cut off Lincoln from Rushmore.

Sore losers.


No comments: