Monday, February 24, 2020

Gratitude Monday: expanding knowledge


I’m headed out to the RSA Conference this week. It’s the mother of all cyber security conferences, and this is my first time there with anything but an expo-only pass.

I’m massively grateful that I snagged a room at the Marriot Marquis, next to Moscone Center. That saves me half-a-mile walks each way to and from the conference. As part of the full-on experience, I’ve registered for every party that let me. (Interestingly, about a week after I was confirmed at one of them, I got an email telling me I’d been disinvited, because “we reserve space for our customers, and don’t allow competitors in”. Well, tbh, I didn’t even know who they are; I saw the term “soirée” and hit Register. Their loss.

Also, every company in attendance is a competitor on some level, so that’s going to restrict the critical mass some.

There are a couple I have to attend, because they’re hosted by competitors we’re particularly interested in. (I’m going to let my inner blonde out and encourage all kinds of conversation after folks have had a few post-expo libations.) But I’ll have to cull many of the others, because I’m registered at a minimum of three and a maximum of six for each of the four nights I’m there.

Oh, the other must-go (fortunately not on one of the target-competitor nights) is the “Luxury Whiskey Tasting” one. I can’t remember who’s throwing it. I just know I’ll be there and hope their idea of luxury whiskey isn’t bourbon.

There’s one more, at ALX Steakhouse, one of the nights (Tuesday?). Someone reached out to me via LinkedIn to invite me to that one. I said sure, but we’ll see. I know neither him, nor his company nor the steakhouse. If it conflicts with one of the target competitors, well, I’ll have to send my regrets.

It’s interesting that some companies—notably IBM—have pulled out of RSA this year. Because coronavirus. Maybe that’s why I was able to get the room at the conference HQ hotel. Yesterday the conference app sent out a message advising everyone attending to wash our hands thoroughly (for at least 20 seconds) about 16 times per hour.

My suitcase is packed, with lots of room for collateral materials from competitors and swag from everyone. Mostly what’s there is a muscle roller, anti-pain gel, extra pair of walking shoes, cushioned socks, extra-strength Tylenol, prescription-strength NSAID and a few tabs of oxy, for the worst-case scenario. I’m grateful for the opportunity to experience this conference, and I don’t want it ruined by pain.




No comments: