Friday, December 20, 2019

On the way to Bethlehem


The English composer John Rutter has pretty much got a lock on modern “classical” Christmas music. I am not a fan, but he certainly doesn’t miss me. Seems like every concert in the world has at least one of his carols, or arrangement of an existing carol.

Rutter composed “The Shepherd’s Pipe” while a student at Clare College, Cambridge. He was 18. Maybe that accounts for the lyrics not even rhyming, I dunno. (Frankly, I got tired of the "On the way to Bethlehem" schtick.) But here are the Batavia Madrigal Singers with Macau Orchestra performing it. I told you everyone in the world puts on his stuff at Christmas.


As an aside, when I went searching for this, Google kept trying to serve up shepherd’s pie. That old algorithm knows what I like.




No comments: