Monday, October 21, 2019

Gratitude Monday: planning


In my post last week about anomalies in Lean Cuisine product offerings, I mentioned I was looking for a quick-and-dirty solution to dinner on nights when I get home from work too tired to do the whole put-it-together schtick. That earned me some stick on Facebook: a friend admonished, “Tsk, tsk. Don’t you have the cooking skills to make stuff in advance? You control the ingredients, it’s more nutritious and it’s a lot cheaper.”

Me: “That requires planning.”

LQ: “Yes…and???”

Well, she did have a point. And we’re getting autumnal weather—cooler and, yesterday, wetter, which cries out for comfort food. So on a whim, during my Saturday shop I picked up ingredients for cottage pie. Yesterday I made up a batch (complete with Keith Richards's flourishes) and portioned it out into five servings. I had one last night and popped four of them into the freezer.

So today I’m grateful that LQ poked me into planning at least a few “emergency provisions” meals. I’ll be even more grateful on the nights I need them.




2 comments:

The Pundit's Apprentice said...

I'd be interested in seeing the frozen food recommendations you received.

Bas Bleu said...

Sadly, no one recommended anything specific. I just made the cottage pies. I'm actually thinking of swapping out my mini-freezer for a full-sized one, where I could store more. This week in particular has made it clear that I need to plan a week's worth of lunches and dinners because my work schedule is nuts.