Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Food on the go


My flight home was considerably better than the one out. For one thing, Aer Lingus was on time. The amenity kit had toothpaste/brush and moisturizer, even though it wasn’t an overnight flight. And the catering was an order of magnitude better. It must have been the DC-based food service that was sub-par.

I shot this poster in the airport, because I was going to post something sarcastic. Only turns out this time it was correct.


When they offered an aperitif, I was considering just the OJ, given my experience with their Champagne, but this time there was a “Champagne cocktail” option, which was new, so I threw caution to the winds:


It was quite nice.

Usually a Champagne cocktail involves the addition of Angostura bitters to a glass of bubbly, so I asked later if that was the case here and was told it was a rhubarb syrup. So I’ve bought some rhubarb and downloaded recipes for making the syrup. It’ll be very refreshing in the summer months, either with sparkling wine or sparkling water.

The “beverage service” included these little guys:


Then there was the starter:


I thought for a while they were fishing the salmon up from the Atlantic—there was none on the trolley and the flight attendant got distracted. But when it came it was worth waiting for.

Given my disappointment with the beef-like substance on my outbound flight I opted for chicken for the main course, with a glass of the French white:


And dessert was this little tart:


They gave us this little smackerel before we landed, so I did not need to eat for the rest of the day:


Scone was not bad at all.

Lest you think I did nothing but eat the whole time, here’s something I found interesting as we were taking off: the queue of aircraft behind us.





No comments: