Wednesday, January 11, 2017

It's not paranoia if it's happening

For some reason Google signed me out of one of my accounts yesterday. When I logged back in, it tried to get me to “verify” a phone number where they can call me for whatever purpose they take it into their heads to execute.

At no time have I ever tried to associate a phone number of any stripe with a Google account. However, I do have an entirely fictitious set of digits that I use for the times when you absolutely have to give some online entity a number if you want their “free” thing.

So here’s the creepy thing: I’ve never “given” that number to Google, so they obviously scraped it from times when I was using Chrome as the vehicle for “signing up” for something online.

I tried, but they don’t give you an option for “Hell no, I won’t verify anything.” So I just deleted it and clicked continue.


They tried again to get me to bite, but I just clicked Done, and I appear to be okay.

For now.



No comments: