Friday, December 23, 2016

I've built my dreams around you

When it comes to classic Christmas films, there are plenty: Miracle on 34th Street, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, A Christmas Story, Die Hard, about 235 versions of A Christmas Carol… But last year I stumbled upon one that’s become one of my holiday favorites: A Very Murray Christmas.

Yeah, it’s not for everyone, but I’ll pretty much watch Bill Murray in anything. Plus: Christmas.

The schtick is that on Christmas Eve, Murray’s in his hotel in Manhattan, waiting to broadcast a live show (hello? Scrooged?), which he needs to do for the money. But a blizzard of Biblical proportions strikes, screwing everything up. He can’t cancel, but…well, a whole lot happens (including a power failure) and he, his crew, a wedding party, and miscellaneous flotsam and jetsam end up in the hotel bar, doing what you might expect in a Manhattan bar during a blizzard on Christmas Eve.

There’s drinking, crying, fighting and singing. All the usual elements of holiday festivities.

The piece I truly love is the ensemble’s cover of The Pogues’ “Fairytale of New York”. There’s something about this collection odds and sods, primed by either tequila or slivovitz (or both), coming together to sing about broken dreams, lost opportunities and old drunks that just speaks to me.

Whaddaya think?




No comments: