Friday, July 15, 2016

Summer in the city

Well, this is a first for me: yesterday we got an all-staff email from the facilities manager, advising us of a protest scheduled at the White House this evening.


I’m so used to working in the burbs that I’ve just never had to think much about anything like an organized protest. Last thing that came anywhere close was one Halloween when people working for janitorial, food service and transportation contractors put up one of those air monsters in front of Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino to call attention to the less than minimum wage they were getting from the vendors who compete their way to the bottom amid the technowealthy.

It's hot and miserable here in the District. I'm hoping that the weather doesn't complicate things. And, while I’d have thought the Capitol, not the White House, was the better target of the BLM group, I hope their protest is peaceful and accomplishes their goals. And that Metro is working for getting them to and from their path. 


1 comment:

The Pundit's Apprentice said...

Welcome to our fair city, Christie. Like you, I am baffled by the venue the BLM organizers have chosen, and I hope they can explain it well enough to dispel my doubts about their good judgment.