Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Let the heavens sing forth

We’re going to another of the all-time heavy hitters of the music world today. As with Bach, trying to pick one thing from Mozart is almost paralyzing. The phrase “spoilt for choice” comes to mind.

“Exsultate Jubilate” is one of my favorites from him. It’s not for Christmas, but it’s religious, and it does call us to rejoice. The first part says:

Rejoice, be glad,
O you blessed souls,
Rejoice, be glad,
Singing sweet songs;
In response to your singing
Let the heavens sing forth with me.

I’ve got about a squillion recordings of different sopranos singing it. Kathleen Battle really goes to town on it, and I very much like Kiri Te Kanawa’s rendering. But no one sings it with such brio as Cecilia Bartoli, so I’m giving her the real estate today. And I’m giving you the whole motet, not just the part about the Alleluia that you usually get.


Sit back, crank up the volume and enjoy.


No comments: