Friday, October 9, 2015

Advancing...

I had an interview yesterday for a job I’d really love, one that would make excellent use of my liberal arts bent and my communications background. It was a panel of six, although since I’d already spoken on the phone with the hiring manager and the HR manager, only four of them really asked me questions.

They were every one of them smart, articulate and deeply committed to their organization and the success of this new program. There was not one twenty-something hotshot engineer-master-of-the-universe convinced that he alone will be responsible for the next [Google, Uber, Facebook, whatever].

So I was not sitting at the Cool Kids Table, trying to maintain the attention of ADHD sufferers who find their mobile phones more compelling than what I have to say. They asked good questions and seemed to appreciate my answers. And now I’m waiting to hear about next steps.

Here’s how much I want this job: I wrote thank-you notes. On note paper. And delivered them to the guard at the organization’s front desk.



No comments: