Saturday, April 4, 2015

April soft and cold: How shall I hold my soul?

Oh, Lord—has it been two years since we’ve had anything auf Deutsch for National Poetry Month? Why, yes—yes, it has.

So let’s have two by Rainer Maria Rilke, the Czech-Austrian (born Prague in 1875) poet known for his lyric poems written in German.

When I was putting together yesterday’s post by Blake, I fell pretty much automatically into the cadence of his “The Tyger”. Because that’s my default when I think of him (before I move onto other works.). That moved me over to Rilke’s “The Panther”, which also makes use of a fierce animal to make a point about existence. For me, using the wild cat as a stand-in for constraining the human soul is a killer on two levels, and it’s actually hard for me to take it in.

See what you think:

“The Panther”

His vision, from the constantly passing bars,
has grown so weary that it cannot hold
anything else. It seems to him there are
a thousand bars; and behind the bars, no world.

As he paces in cramped circles, over and over,
the movement of his powerful soft strides
is like a ritual dance around a center
in which a mighty will stands paralyzed.

Only at times, the curtain of the pupils
lifts, quietly--. An image enters in,
rushes down through the tensed, arrested muscles,
plunges into the heart and is gone.

In German, it’s:

Der Panther

Sein Blick ist vom Vorübergehen der Stäbe
so müd geworden, daß er nichts mehr hält.
Ihm ist, als ob es tausend Stäbe gäbe
und hinter tausend Stäben keine Welt.

Der weiche Gang geschmeidig starker Schritte,
der sich im allerkleinsten Kreise dreht,
ist wie ein Tanz von Kraft um eine Mitte,
in der betäubt ein großer Wille steht.

Nur manchmal schiebt der Vorhang der Pupille
sich lautlos auf -. Dann geht ein Bild hinein,
geht durch der Glieder angespannter Stille –
und hört im Herzen auf zu sein.

I don’t know which is worse for me—the sense of confinement in such a small place that must press the breath out of one, or that image thrusting in through the eyes and piercing the heart.

But here, I’ll also give you something more poetish:

“Love Song”

How shall I hold my soul, that
It does not touch on yours?  How shall I lift it
Beyond you to other things?
Ah, gladly would I shelter it with something
Lost in the dark.
At a strange quiet place which
Does not co-vibrate when your depths resonate.

But everything that touches us, you and me,
Takes us together like one draw of a bow
Which pulls one voice from two strings.
On which instrument are we strung?
And what player has us in his hand?
O sweet song.

Wie soll ich meine Seele halten

Wie soll ich meine Seele halten, daß
sie nicht an deine rührt? Wie soll ich sie
hinheben über dich zu andern Dingen?
Ach gerne möcht ich sie bei irgendwas
Verlorenem im Dunkel unterbringen
an einer fremden stillen Stelle, die
nicht weiterschwingt, wenn deine Tiefen schwingen.

Doch alles, was uns anrührt, dich und mich,
nimmt uns zusammen wie ein Bogenstrich,
der aus zwei Saiten eine Stimme zieht.
Auf welches Instrument sind wir gespannt?
Und welcher Geiger hat uns in der Hand?
O süßes Lied.



No comments: