Thursday, September 18, 2014

Critter control

One more point about my visit to the Gamble Garden in Palo Alto. Evidently they have a problem with raccoons. I noticed a couple of these signs out in various places:


Then, as I was having a wander around the rose garden (where one of the signs appeared), I heard this little chirruping sound. Very quiet, but repeated. Eventually I noticed a little fenced-around crate in the shade of a rose bush. And, whaddaya know—an abated raccoon:


(Yes, it’s a lousy photo. I did not want to spook the little guy beyond what he already was by getting closer.)

I can’t find out any information about what’s going on, or why the critter was there in the daylight. They might have been awaiting a professional who would relocate it.

Although Santa Clara County officially disapproves of relocation; you actually are not permitted to relocate captured wildlife without a permit. Yes, a permit.

Their advice is: this is the Peninsula, there’s wildlife here, get used to it. All their suggestions revolve around you not doing anything to attract them to your particular location: lock up your pets, lock up your pet food, block any holes to attics or basements or garages.

I had enough experience with raccoons in my attic in Reston to understand that they are cute in the abstract, but can be incredibly uncharming in person. So I hope everything works out for them and the gardeners.




No comments: