Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Watching brief

As you know, social media is just a weird, weird place. On the Twitter-dot-com you can follow pretty much anyone. Unless they’ve got a “private” account.

But that also means that anyone can follow you (unless you specifically block them; or you have a private account). & let me just say that there are some weird, weird people out there.

No more than in the real world, I’m guessing. It’s just that in the real world your access to them is limited by how many weird places you can get to in a 24-hour day. That limit doesn’t exist on the Internet.

Anyhow—there’s the usual complement of spam-bots, & people who’d follow a ham sandwich in hopes that it would follow them back. But if you don’t follow them back, they usually dump you like yesterday’s sushi, so that’s not really a problem.

However, some weeks ago, this chick showed up in my followers queue, in much the same way that the occasional chick named Svetlana or Tatiana appears in my email, assuring me that she’s only waiting for me to click on her link to make her eternally happy.


Somehow I’ve been disinclined to follow Anna. That XX in her Twitter handle makes me kinda nervous about what I might discover.

But what I find interesting is that, even though I’ve not followed her back, in the nearly two months since she followed me, she’s not bothered to unfollow.

Perhaps she’s too busy. Watching. & being watched.

Not going there.



No comments: