Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Surgical strike Pt 4

Arthroscopy report, continued:

As the saying goes, so far, so good.

As long as I don’t put weight on a leg and then twist it, I’m fine. No problem using the clutch in my car. (Oddly, I had to shift the position of my right foot on the gas pedal because I had it at an angle from the ankle, which must have put some torque on the knee. Once I straightened it out, I was fine.) Which is good, because I had to drive up to Redwood City to see the nurse practitioner.

(For my DC readers, that’s like having to go from Annandale to Bethesda, with the beltway being the crapshoot it is. I did a lot more shifting gears on the 101 than I’d have liked because of traffic.)

She removed the pressure and gauze bandages, so now I just have four square band-aids over the actual incisions. She was surprised that I was driving the manual transmission and that I clocked 4500 steps on Sunday (more than 5000 yesterday). But it’s not like I’m power walking; I’m paying attention, so I’m okay.

(BTW, I did finally get a check-up call from the surgery centre. Two of them. Yesterday at 0824 and 1036. More than three days after the procedure. By that time I could already have had maggots munching the wounds.)

I start PT on Friday and can now shower with the aid of Glad Press-n-Seal. And, since my PCP can remove the sutures next Monday, I don't have to return to the Redwood City office of AJ, MD, which is even more of a factory than the San José one is.

I will say that I was hunting out some green tea yesterday afternoon in a lower cupboard, and I quickly aborted my attempt to kneel on the floor. Fortunately, I found the tea before I had to floor-flop on my butt. Getting up again might have been a challenge.







No comments: