Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recruiters (sort of)

I was going to say that this isn’t strictly part of my current experience; then I realized I’d be lying. At one time or another within the past three years I’ve been asked all these inane questions at interviews…and more.

Well, the “where do you see yourself in five years” one has evidently gone out of fashion, since it has to be patently obvious to even the most fatuous interviewers that a five-year outlook with reference to a particular employer is in the realm of fiction.

&, while they’re all ridiculous & clear evidence of an organization in which someone has Taken A Course on interviewing, you know that anyone who asks about your greatest weakness is sadly behind the times. They really need to check out the latest edition of the handbook from the public library.

As for the hypothetical brain teaser questions: they’re huge in the largest software companies. I once spent an hour being asked a series of these by a guy sporting a pudding bowl haircut sitting on a balance ball in his office.

I can’t believe I still accepted the job offer.

No comments: