Friday, October 23, 2009

Pie in the sky

Ah, one of the comedic rocks of my childhood has passed: Soupy Sales is dead at age 83.

I never liked Our Gang, the Three Stooges or any of those staples of non-network children’s programming. In fact, let me stress that there’s nothing at all about the Three Stooges that I have ever found funny.

But Soupy was like Rocky & Bullwinkle. I didn’t understand everything that was going on in his shows, but it still struck me as hilarious.

(It broke my heart to discover recently that the Dudley Do-Right Emporium, next to the Jay Ward Studios off the Sunset Strip, had closed. I wonder if that makes my Super Chicken tee shirt more valuable? & if you have a bottle of Evening in South Pasadena cologne, it’ll probably put your kids through professional school.)

I imagine the Afterlife is finding itself covered in pie cream about now.

No comments: