Monday, January 6, 2014

Gratitude Monday: Music to my heart

I don’t often give thanks for a particular film, but this weekend I was in a bit of a ratty state, and I swear that Quartet pulled me out of it. So today I’m truly grateful to whoever it was who recommended it to me, and that I had it out from the library to watch this weekend, just when I needed it.

I confess that I could watch Maggie Smith eat a ham sandwich, but it wasn’t just her. And I certainly didn’t care that Dustin Hoffman directed it. It was adapted by Ronald Harwood from his play, so there wasn’t too much that Hoffman could do to it. (And listen, if the movie were crap, the credits would still be worth sitting through the rest. But it isn't.)


There’s something about the notion that age doesn’t have to have the absolute final word about how you live your life that made me feel better. Plus—all that gorgeous music; I’ve been scrabbling around YouTube for two days, drinking up Verdi, Boccherini, Bach and Haydn.

If you’ve not yet seen it yet, do. You’ll be grateful, too.




No comments: