Sunday, September 22, 2013

Women's voices: Live in the sunshine

Yesterday I mentioned Linda Ronstadt’s collaboration with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris. Trio went with me twice across the US. A friend thought that the album might be monochromatic, so she lent me Ronstadt’s What’s New.

That was the one I thought banged on a little long on a single style. I really like the blending of the different voices and styles of the three women, even if I sometimes find Parton a little over-ornamented.

My favorite cut from Trio is “Farther Along”. I love that old-time Baptist Sunday School piano in it.


I have to say that I’ve found myself humming it a lot as I wended my way through CorporateLand. I very seldom ever did, in fact, understand what was going on. But maybe I hadn’t got farther along enough.


No comments: