Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Women's voices: Rise, shine

The Higher Power is a big topic, so we’ll spend another day in it.

If you’ve never heard Sweet Honey in the Rock, I’m just so sad for you. These women make music that resonates deep into my core; their beautiful and powerful voices blend in such a stunning way that whenever I hear them, I have to stop whatever I’m doing and listen.

This version of them doing “Jacob’s Ladder” is from the soundtrack to Ken Burns’ documentary The Civil War. Bernice Johnson Reagon’s voice is the anchor; but the others weave in and out like a baroque fugue.


I don’t know whether they teach “Jacob’s Ladder” in elementary school music segments anymore; too Judeo-Christian, probably, for the PC crowd. (Actually, I was once rebuked by someone on the Pundit’s Apprentice’s list for using the term “Judeo-Christian” because it’s too…something; I forget what. I also forget what was the alleged preferred replacement because I was too busy waiting to see if this guy was going to disappear up his own arse. I concluded he must have an even more pathetic life than I do if he feels the need to throw that kind of crap around to someone he doesn’t know. In public.) But if they don’t, it’s a pity, because it’s a great song for rhythm—which, of course is partly the point for songs that are used in the course of physical labor.

Reagon, Sweet Honey’s founder, left the group a few years ago; it took two women to replace her.

I took a class from Reagon at American University in D.C. back in the 90s. As we gathered in the lecture hall for the first meeting, she walked up to the lectern and began singing “Wade in the Water”. Every note was solid and heartfelt. It was a privilege to learn from her.

But I can’t find a recording of Sweet Honey doing that one, so I’ll give you one of my favorites: Eva Cassidy.


I am in total awe of Cassidy’s range, and I love the way she just owns this one.



No comments: