Monday, August 26, 2019

Gratitude Monday: unlooked for joy


Every time I participate in a friend’s novena to Saint Bartholomew, I find something new to take to heart. Last year, I wrote about the comfort and inspiration I take from the phrase in the daily prayer thanking God “for the graces you have already granted us through [Bartholomew’s] intercession, especially those which have come unasked and unlooked for.” [Emphasis mine.]

This year I was struck by this opening of the prayer for Day Five: “O Glorious St. Bartholomew, teach us by your holy example to live lives of joy.”

Huh. Lives of joy. Imagine that.

I feel like this is the year for joy to speak to me; that joy is a part of #playingtowin. A friend Googled that distinction between playing to win versus playing not to lose, and it’s that playing to win means leading with your strengths, while playing not to lose means trying to cover your weaknesses. This time, dealing with the silliness at my old employer and embarking on yet another job search, that is precisely the change I have made. I do have strengths and they far outweigh the sum of my weaknesses. I’m leading with them.

And it occurs to me, after Day Five, that this feeling of strength is a source of joy, which even the occasional fear is unable to erode.

That sense (even if unarticulated to myself) informed my dealings with recruiters, helpful friends and hiring managers. In the series of interviews I had this month for my aspirational job with my aspirational company in my aspirational field, I approached each interaction with actual joy, which manifested itself in confidence. It wasn’t just, “This is what I want,” it was, “This is what I can do.” And I believed it.

Apparently so did they: I am waiting to receive their offer letter, which the recruiter assures me is working its way through their process. Everyone I spoke with is as excited as I am at the prospect of me joining the team.

Imagine that.

I am so grateful for the graces and blessings of this journey, for everything I’ve learnt on the way, for the help and guidance I’ve received (often unasked and unlooked for) and for discovering joy in the process.


No comments: