Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem


My favorite Old Testament book is Isaiah. There’s so much flowing beauty in that old prophet. And a lot of that beauty forms the backbone of many carols, since he’s all about the coming of the Messiah.

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear”, “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”, “Joy to the World”, “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” are examples of Isaiah-based carols. Christmas-related hymns include “Come, Thou, Long-Expected Jesus”, “To Us a Child of Hope is Born” and “Comfort, Comfort Ye, My People”.

Isaiah also is deployed in seasonal oratorios, including the one most often trotted out around now. Let’s have Handel’s version of “Comfort Ye, My People”, followed by “Ev’ry Valley”. I find the imagery of the latter striking: Every valley shall be lifted up; every mountain and hill made low. Uneven ground will become smooth and the rugged land a plain.” If that doesn’t comfort the people, I don’t know what will.




No comments: