Monday, August 15, 2016

Gratitude Monday: Dog days

You know you’re in Northern Virginia when you get out of your air conditioned car any time during daylight hours and your glasses fog up. It’s that combination of temperatures above 90 degrees and humidity that rivals the Amazon. (This means that about a month ago I reconciled myself to the fact that I was going to have a bad hair day that lasts through mid-September.)

Saturday I returned a book to the library around 0800, and from the moment I got out of the car, walked ten yards to dump it in the book return slot and then got back into the car, I was functionally blind.

There’s also that sense that every time you leave an air conditioned building you feel like you’ve walked into a blast furnace, and it’s sucking the air right out of your lungs. On days like these I wonder at the fortitude of men who met in battle within an hour’s drive of here in July, August and September. Their uniforms were wool, their rifles and packs were heavy and the only water they had was what they carried in their canteens.

Every time I’ve walked the fields of Manassas and Sharpsburg I’ve thought about them, wondering how they managed to form ranks, much less fight for hours, in that heat and humidity. It reminds me that what we enjoy today has been paid for over and over across the years.

It makes me grateful for clean water coming from the taps; for air conditioning in offices, residences and transportation; for peace in my neighborhood; for opticians; for cotton clothing; for construction workers, first responders, crossing guards, and everyone who does their job out in this God-awful heat. And for the prospect of fall. 

No comments: