Sunday, December 13, 2009

Neighborscapes

Perhaps you’ll recall that Higher Powers tried to keep me from returning to Seattle from Europe.

And rightly so.

Imagine my sense of pleasure upon pulling up to the house to find that my neighbor, Abbi, has decided to leave all her trash and recycling bins out in front of our shared fence, right between our two gates.


I’ve noticed that people in this particular neighborhood just leave their bins out on the curb all the time. Which means they have to schlep their trash, yard waste and recycling out there several times between collection, rather than keeping them at home and wheeling out the bins once a week (or every two, in the case of recycling).

This has all the charm of living in the projects, but with a higher mortgage payment.

But, since we don’t get pick-up from our house fronts (we have to wheel the containers about 75 yards out to an actual, you know, curb), it’s not clear to me what the advantage of leaving the bins out in public, instead of inside her property line, is. I mean, it’s not as though she’s actually landscaped her 20 square feet of land and consequently has aesthetic objections to keeping them there (as she’s done for the past six months).

It seems I unwittingly moved into a trailer park. Lucky me.



No comments: