Friday, June 29, 2018

Strictly for the birds


After this week from wherever is below Hell, here’s something with no human involvement: birds at the feeder.

 
These aren’t actually birds that I want to encourage. Not  sure exactly what they are, species-wise; I only know they’re greedy pigs who can empty a feeder in a New York minute.

What’s fascinating to me is that there appears to be one Momma and several adolescent kids. I mean, they look adult, but they’re clamoring for Momma to feed-us-feed-us-feed-us, like babies.

Since I shot this I’ve been experimenting with adding fishing weights to the spring-loaded feeder. Trying to get a weight that allows the little birdies to eat but clamps shut when any of these bullies lands. So far I’ve got rid of the really big ones, but still getting some of these guys.



No comments: