Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pilgrimage of poems: A blanket made of heaven

A couple of years ago I came across a series of mystery novels by Chinese writer Qiu Xiaolong. They’re set in Shanghai of the 90s and the hero is Chief Inspector Chen Cao, who apparently never met an 8th Century Tang poem he didn’t find necessary to quote. 

In fact, my comment in my reading log is “All that fricking Tang poetry”. After that, I stopped reading the books.

However, it turns out that one of the most acclaimed Tang poets was Li Bai (also known as Li Po), who wrote a whole lot of poems about drinking. Now, this I can get into.

So here are three examples.

“Wine Song”

If High Heaven had no love for wine,
There would not be a Wine Star in the sky.
If Earth herself had no love for wine,
There would not be a city called Wine Springs.
Since Heaven and Earth both love wine,
I can love wine, without shame before God.
Clear wine was once called “a Saint;”
Thick wine was once called “a Sage.”
Of Saint and Sage I have long quaffed deep,
What need for me to study spirits and the Immortals?
At the third cup I penetrate the Great Way;
A full gallon—Nature and I are one....
But the things I feel when wine possesses my soul
I will never tell to those who are not drunk.

“Drinking Alone”

I take my wine jug out among the flowers
To drink alone, without friends.

I raise my cup to entice the moon.
That, and my shadow, makes us three.

But the moon doesn't drink,
And my shadow silently follows.

I will travel with moon and shadow,
happy to the end of spring.

When I sing, the moon dances.
When I dance, my shadow dances, too.

We share life's joys when sober.
Drunk, each goes a separate way.

Constant friends, although we wander,
we'll meet again in the Milky Way.

“Mountain Drinking Song”

To drown the ancient sorrows,
We drank a hundred jugs of wine
There in the beautiful night.
We couldn't go to bed with the moon so bright.

The finally the wine overcame us
And we lay down on the empty mountain—
The earth for a pillow,
And a blanket made of heaven.


No comments: