Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Is it Friday, yet?

So here was my yesterday:

No hot water in my shower. Hot water in the bathroom sink, but not in the shower.

Called plumber recommended by a colleague. He and his daughter/translator came out and basically confirmed what Google told me: I need a new mixer. This requires getting to the access panel, which is in my bedroom closet. I have not opened this closet since I stopped going in to work in March. It had six months’ worth of dust on the floor and I was mortified.

Fixing the issue may require replacing a row of tiles on the tub surround. I hope to God not, because I don’t have enough extra tiles to accommodate that. He’s coming around today to deal with it; please direct a few words to Saint Vincent Ferrer and Saint Anthony of Padova.

Then, at my first meeting of the day, I asked ENG what their plans are for levels of entitlement for company employees to get on our new application. At first, my pal Foghorn essentially asked, “What is this [access feature] of which you speak?” I reminded him that we have multiple tiers of permissions for employees with the current application, which this new one is replacing. He responded with, “Yeah, we’re not doing that.” And I replied, “You’re just going to let everyone on with access to every feature?”

Well, grumble, grumble.

Dude—we spent weeks last October and November setting up the roles and deciding on who should be able to access which function. Not my fault that when you were embarking on your ENG-only plans for world conquest you didn’t think about this. It’s like sending your army to invade the USSR and not supplying them with winter clothes. I may be Poland in your Weltanschauung, but I can still laugh at you because you're an idiot.

And finally, I spent a good part of the day dealing with an issue that turned out to be Office365-related. Seems that the daily emails we send out to thousands of users go through an Exchange server mailbox, which has a 99GB rate limit. And not only do the outgoing emails count toward that issue, but bounce emails do, too. Turns out we were at 110% of our limit because something like seven years’ worth of bounce emails have accumulated there. It took us an hour to purge just 20GB of these things.

All I’ve got to say at this point is: week, you have to do better.

 

 

No comments: