Thursday, August 22, 2013

Mixing oil & vinegar

Back in the 90s I read a story in the Washington Post to the effect that you can tell who’s a yuppie by the number of types of vinegar they have in their pantry. I remember thinking, “Uh-oh” back then, because I probably had about five lying about, along with three or four types of cooking oil.

I was reminded of that the other day asI pulled out the balsamic when I wanted the red wine vinegar for a spinach salad, and I really looked at that cabinet shelf. Which is half full of vinegar bottles.


The other half is different kinds of oils.

Here’s the tally.

Vinegar:
  •  Champagne (two bottles, but one’s almost empty and the other was on sale)
  • Red wine
  • White wine
  • Balsamic
  • Cider
  • White
  • Rice
  • Raspberry
  • Raspberry red wine

Oil:
  • EVOO (California estate)
  • EVOO (Kalamata)
  • Persian lime EVOO
  • Eureka lemon EVOO
  • Lemon basil EVOO
  • Sesame
  • Walnut
  • Canola spray
  • Garlic
  • Basting olive oil with herbs
  • Canola
  • Peanut

Don’t quite know what to say about it. I’m not really excessive, I don’t think. I’m pretty sure I could stop at any point.

Well, maybe just one more…



No comments: