Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Linking wonder, Part 3


LinkedIn is the online equivalent of a hair salon when it comes to inspiring stories. You’ll never be at a loss for “WTF” moments if you spend even ten or 15 minutes on discussions at the networking sites.

Here’s one that you know I had to gather unto me & then share with you. The poster says on her profile that she’s “Director Strategic Marketing” at a vague organization in Spokane that I can’t find. Her previous position is listed as “Manager of Commercial Operations & Analytics” at a company that likewise doesn’t seem to exist.

& she claims to have a “Masters, Management Consulting, Marketing” from the Harvard Business School. No date.

So I suppose it shouldn’t be too surprising that the“discussion” she started on “The Essentials of Script Writing Jobs” should be…somewhat less than confidence-instilling when it comes to, you know, mastery of writing.


The first graf alone wanders around like a puppy in a room full of dropped canapés in the aftermath of a cocktail party. & maybe the puppy lapped up a few spilt martinis, too.

Seriously, I was going to highlight the really nonsensical parts, but the whole thing qualifies.

Keep reading. When you get to her bullet points, you start to wonder if perhaps English is not her first language. (In which case she can qualify for the product manager job I saw listed last week.)

I will say, I haven’t bothered to follow the link to her website where you can “Get Paid For You [sic] Writing Potential”. Really tempted, but I'm running low on my supply of vodka.

Lest you think she was just having a bad day, I came across another of her shilling-for-traffic efforts:


Here she proves beyond all question that she knows as much about the business of writing as she does about writing itself. She probably scraped data from other sites.

The penultimate graf is the kicker, where she assures the reader that to attract business you must be simply impressive & charge less than everyone else. I especially love it when she urges us to “offer them with unlimited revisions.”

Yeah—that’s definitely the road to success.

But I’m waiting for LinkedIn members from the Sub-Continent to start posting replies asking her for job details so they can apply.

No comments: