Monday, July 13, 2015

Gratitude Monday: A walk around the park

Meetups can be a mixed bag, as I’ve discussed here in the past. It really is a case of having to kiss a lot of toads before you find the good-looking heir to the throne.

So I’m grateful that I’ve come across one that looks like a keeper. Perhaps that’s because its goals are modest: a group of ambulatory folks get together on a Saturday morning at a park in Cupertino…to walk. And talk. Just an easy pace, for an hour, in the neighborhood around the park, and light chitchat.

When you think of it, really pretty disruptive to the ethos of the Valley They Call Silicon. No athletic competition, no real fashion statements, no self-important strategic positioning. Such a relief from every other meetup I’ve been to here.

It was great to explore an area that’s new to me, with a slightly different take on mid-century architecture than I see in Sunnyvale or Mountain View. However, there’s a similar breadth of approach to the current drought: some lush green lawns, some drab brown, and more than a couple of plastic ones.

Interesting that the little brown rabbits I’ve previously only seen on hikes around the Stevens Creek Reservoir appear to have moved into suburbia; I’m thinking that the drought may have something to do with that.



They look so very cute, partly because it’s not my garden they’re chowing down on.

Our organizer had timed the walk perfectly—just on the hour, we were back at the park. Pedometers were checked, conversations concluded, and we set off for our Saturday activities.

And I’m very grateful that I had the opportunity to recharge my humanity batteries in this simple but profound way.



No comments: