Monday, February 3, 2014

Gratitude Monday: Public radio pledging

On this Gratitude Monday, I’m giving it up for my local NPR outlet, KQED. I’m thankful that they’re there to give me Morning Edition and All Things Considered (weekdays and weekends), and for Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me; Fresh Air; Car Talk; World; and other programs. NPR is my primary source for news, both on air and online; and for on air that means KQED.

Plus, unlike their sister TV station, they only run pledge drives about three times a year. (I swear KQED-TV trots out the tired old warhorses and guilt-trip interruptions on average three weeks out of seven.)

In the past, I’ve donated money, but this year I decided to volunteer. So if you called for the past few mornings between 0700 and 0900, you might have got me at the other end of the line. It was an interesting experience.

First of all, let me remark on how good-natured the pledgers are. The very first day of the drive, the KQED people didn’t actually have all the systems properly set up (which seems odd, because after all, this definitely ain’t their first rodeo), and their idea of training on both the computer and the phones was a little on the sketchy side. But callers were really exceptionally patient as I stumbled through the various screens.

Thankfully, they did have an address verification capability that meant all you needed to do was input the street address and a ZIP code, and it filled in the city and state. This was apparently from the USPS, which is interesting, because my experience with USPS reps back in December seemed to indicate that they themselves aren’t capable of extrapolating that information from a ZIP code.

Naturally, most contributors were calling in for the “thank-you gifts”. Because they’re trying to encourage sustaining (= never-ending) membership, there were only two levels of giving that got you gifts, $15/month and $30/month. At the higher amount, the one gift on offer was 125 years of National Geographic on DVD-ROM, which wouldn’t have inspired me (and they’ve been giving that away for a couple of years), although you also got to choose any of the ones being offered at the lower level.

Those, in my opinion, varied in attractiveness. One (which they apparently thought was going to be a door-buster) was Season 4 (currently being broadcast) of Downton Abbey on DVD or Blu-Ray. Listen, you couldn’t pay me enough to have that in my house, and it did not seem to be raking the callers in. (The Soda-Stream water carbonator was somewhat more attractive, as was a water purifier. Although they did make me wonder about the quality of the local water systems.)

On the other hand, if they’d just consistently offered the AAA backpack with emergency kit and Rugged Ruckus solar-powered radio (with USB port so you can charge your mobile phone), they could have ended the entire pledge drive after about five days. (Instead, they parceled them out ten or so per nine-minute break, so that if you called after all ten had been taken, you were stuck with Downton Abbey. So people rang off to call back another time.)

Not everyone was in it for the giveaways, though. I had a couple of callers who made their pledges and refused the gifts on offer. And one woman raised her monthly pledge from $2 per month to $5, which (when you think of it) is more than doubling the commitment.

And there was one guy who called not to pledge, but to express his disgust that the gift for that break was four tickets to the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio, because Disney was a “known fascist”. (There was no real mechanism for me to take his complaint, so I gave him the number of member services.)

My fellow volunteers were interesting. One day I was seated next to Pep Squad Girl—you know the one you went through high school with, who oozes perkiness in equal measure with omniscience. I rather got the feeling that the rest of us were surplus to requirements with her in the room; had this image of her answering multiple lines simultaneously and sprouting octopi tentacles to enter data into three rows of laptops…

There was also one guy with Ted Baxter hair and an ego to match. All conversation with him was a pivot for him to talk about himself. After a while I was taking the (very polite) piss; but he never noticed.

One last interesting point for me was the whole concept of the relativity of time. The nine-minute pledge breaks (two per hour) just whizzed by when I was answering phones. But when I’m listening to them, they last about 20 minutes, just like they always do.

Still, I’m grateful for public radio, for the people who support it, and for the opportunity to get in there and help out from the inside.




No comments: