Monday, May 20, 2024

Gratitude Monday: stepping out of an evening

A few weeks ago I received notification from Eventbrite congratulating me on registering for an event at the Embassy of Italy’s cultural center. I was contemplating this wonder when an email from a friend hit my inbox announcing that she’d registered me for an event at the Embassy of Italy’s cultural institute.

Well, why not?

First of all, I have to say that getting me out of the house in the evening practically takes an act of God. This one involved me putting on trousers with a zipper (I’ve worn nothing but sweat pants for almost a year, with the exception of the two weeks I was in Europe six months ago), riding Metro for more than an hour and then walking more than a mile from Woodley Park Metro station to the embassy. I arrived with sweat soaking my face, hair and non-tee-shirt cotton top; amidst the perfectly put-together Italian ladies and the typical embassy event crowd, I looked like trailer trash just back from Walmart.

It turned out to be a promotion of this summer’s Arena di Verona’s 101st Opera Festival, about which I knew nothing. 

The ambassador introduced the program, which was two sopranos and a tenor, accompanied by the music director on the piano, singing a number of arias. Since they’re celebrating the centenary of the death of Giacomo Puccini, most of the pieces were from him.

Well, I gotta say—it was worth every step and drop of sweat; even the zipper. (If you get the opportunity to hear Yeajin Jeon, go. She’ll be appearing in Turandot in Verona starting next month.) But it was more than the performances. Also more than the quite presentable Italian wines and nibbles served afterward. It was getting out of my comfort zone, doing something different, engaging in acts of civil sociability and stepping away from the screen, for more than six hours all told.

So I’m grateful indeed that my friend thought of me for this particular event.

 

 

 

©2024 Bas Bleu

No comments: