Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Crispy treats

If you’re ever in the mood to explore weird consumer packaged goods, head down to the nearest World Market, especially in the foods section.

Honestly, I can spend quite a bit of time, looking at the things on offer and examining the ingredients lists.

Here are a few examples from a recent trip:


I’m not exactly sure what you’d do with chocolate-flavored egg noodles, and I don’t actually want to spend a lot of time thinking about it.

The various flavors of potato chips (or “crisps”, because these all originated in Great Britain) kind of stop my thought processes, too.



Caramelized onion is apparently a whole thing there.

As it is in Ireland, apparently.


But I don't know what to say about the roast ham or prawn varieties. Except that it could be worse: Mackie's also produces a haggis crisp. Which WM did not have on display.


Personally, I’m a potato chip purist—if I wanted ranch, BBQ, grilled steak, roasted garlic or garden tomato and basil flavors, I’d get some dip. (Well, I don’t know about the steak in any event.) And I lament the fact that at a cafeteria or social event you almost never get the chance for just plain old potato chips, so I end up going without.

Which is probably not a bad thing. But in the meantime, I might go back and get a packet of those sea salt ones. From Ireland, so must be kosher, right?





2 comments:

The History Anorak said...

I'm a crisp fan and had a pack of prawn cocktail flavour this lunchtime! I'd love to try those haggis ones. I guess each to their own. :)

Bas Bleu said...

Tell you what--you can have my share of the flavored ones; just save me the plain old, boring variety.